World Heart Day - 29th September 2013
Sunday 29th is World Heart Day which aims to highlight how important keeping a healthy heart is to a worldwide audience...
Sunday is World Heart Day which aims to highlight how important keeping a healthy heart is to a worldwide audience.
At The 3fivetwo Group we know how important a healthy lifestyle is in keeping your heart in great condition. We offer a range of diagnostic scans and tests with experts in the comfort of our private clinics and at Kingsbridge Private Hospital in Belfast where we provide an outstanding Private GP service.
What do I need to know about coronary heart disease?
Coronary heart disease (CHD) is the UK's biggest killer. CHD develops when the blood supply to the muscles and tissues of the heart are obstructed by the build-up of fatty materials inside the walls of the coronary arteries.
‘CHD causes round 74,000 deaths each year. That's an average of 200 people every day.’ British Heart Foundation
Your heart needs a blood supply as well so that it continues to keep working properly. The heart is one of the hardest working organs in the body beating an amazing 100,000 times in one day and 35 million times in a year. Heart disease occurs when this usual clockwork process is disrupted. The arteries that carry this blood start to become blocked by a build-up of fatty deposits known as plaques. This can lead to high blood pressure, which also increases the risk of heart disease.
‘In the UK, there are an estimated 2.3 million people living with CHD.’ British Heart Foundation
Angina is caused If your arteries are partially blocked resulting in severe chest pains that can spread across your upper body. This can also put you at greater risk of a heart attack.
Genetic factors can also put you at a higher risk. Family history of heart disease in middle-age is a good way of determining if you may be at risk.
‘About one in six men and one in nine women die from the disease.’ British Heart Foundation
Lifestyle factors can also increase the risk of CHD. To reduce your risk you should:
- Eat healthy foods low in saturated fats
- Reduce your intake of salt
- Get active - moderate exercise will improve your overall health and wellbeing
- Quit smoking
‘In the past couple of decades, deaths from CHD have nearly halved due to better treatments.’ British Heart Foundation
What can I do to find out if I am at risk?
- See a GP if you feel you might be at risk. A GP will be able to provide you with advice on reducing your risk or refer you onto a specialist in cardiology.
- Book a Healthy Heart Assessment. At 3fivetwo we offer a comprehensive cardiac health service which includes a physical examination, risk evaluation, 12 lead ECG as well and other diagnostic tests to ensure your heart is in tip-top condition.
- Book an appointment with one of our cardiology experts or click here to find out more about our cardiology services:
HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS & CONSULTANTS
Kingsbridge Private Hospital in Belfast is part of The 3fivetwo Group.
To find out more about the services and treatments available at our hospital and clinics – Click here
Find out more about World Heart Day – Click here
We have lots of updates on current health affairs on the 3fivetwo HealthStyle facebook page. Follow this link for regular updates.